Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Singing Circus Jubilee

Singing Circus Jubilee Review

Today I want to share with you the 1st of my Summer Series! I did this on Sunday and it was a HUGE hit! It was a lot of prep so this isn't an easy activity for those looking for simple. I actually lucked out because this fell on a 5th Sunday so I was given the whole hour. This is one that could definitely be used a couple weeks in a row and the kids will LOVE it!!
 This first one in the series is called the "Singing Circus Jubilee." It is a review activity of all the program songs up to this point. I will do one more in the series in July. It will be the "S'more Singing" camp. Details to come soon on that one. Both are review activities for the kiddo's and a GREAT monitor for me, so I can see where things stand on all the program songs.

To begin, I picked 3 circus/carnival games that I would use for my activity! Bean bag toss, ping pong ball toss, and balloon juggling. Everything you will need is pictured here. I did purchase two plastic red tablecloths at the dollar tree that I hung on the chalkboard and tied back to look like curtains. I'm sorry, I do not have a pic of that but it was very simple to do and was pretty much the only hanging decor that I used.
To begin the activity, each child was given 1 ticket. You can purchase a pack of 250 of these at the Dollar tree. The goal for this activity is for each child to have collected 10 tickets before singing time is over. I did the games so that when a child comes up to play, they are earning tickets for everyone on their turn. If you are short on time, you can make it so they earn a lower number of tickets before the end of singing time. Another thing to consider is having a leader to be in charge of helping hand out earned tickets or on ping pong, kids can loose tickets. So, it helps to have someone walking around and doing this part for you.


For the Bean Bag Toss, I just took an old box and painted it like pictured below. I used a cup to trace my circles. You may want to go a little bigger. This proved to be harder than I thought. I gave each child 3 tries to get it through a hole.
 I did 3 balloons, Red: was worth 1 ticket, If they made it through this one then the kids would sing a song to earn the ticket, the next one was Blue: it was worth 2 tickets. If they made it through this one then they played name that tune. They rolled a dice to see how many notes they would get and if they guessed it then they earned 2 tickets. The last one was Yellow: It was worth 3 tickets. If they could answer a question about one of the songs for the program they got their 3 tickets.

 
Next, I did the Ping Pong Ball Toss. For this one I hot glued clear cups onto a painted piece of cardboard. I added white circles to some of the cups. On the circles there was a song to sing and the number of tickets to win. Some of the circles had TAKE 1 TICKET. If they made it into one of these cups they could steal a ticket from someone. If they made it into a cup without a circle, everyone lost a ticket. Again, I gave the child 3 tries to get the ball into a cup.


 The last game was balloon juggling. I would have a child come up and wear the clown nose and hat if they wanted to. They could choose to juggle one balloon or two while we sang a song. If they could juggle through the song without dropping a balloon, then they would win the amount of tickets, according to the amount of balloons they juggled. So, if they picked one balloon and juggled it while we sang the song, then everyone would get 1 ticket. If they juggled 2 and made it through a whole song without dropping it, then they earned 2 tickets for everyone. 




Cotton Candy
 At the end of singing time, the children cashed in their tickets for a baggie of Cotton Candy. You can find this at the Dollar Tree as well!!!

This was tons of FUN, and the children did an AWESOME job. They didn't even seem to realize that they sang for a whole hour. Please let me know if you have any questions. I know I kind of rambled on. I will be posting my "S'more Singing Campout" review in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, check back in for more singing review and memorization games. Thank you for stopping by and Happy Singing Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment