Monday, December 16, 2013

Singing Snowball Fight

Happy Monday! I wanted to share a super FUN activity I did with the kiddo's on Sunday. I do both Jr. and Sr. primary combined and this is one that was enjoyed by all!! Living in the desert does have its advantages, like 73 degrees today:) got ta luv it, however, growing up in the mid west and moving from Utah 5 years ago, I do tend to miss the snow this time of year. It doesn't quite feel like Christmas when you can still walk around in your shorts and flip flops. So, again, while lying awake at 3:00 AM one morning a few weeks ago, I thought I would take advantage of some quiet thinking time and come up with a couple of cute singing time ideas to get us through the INSANELY crazy month of December. I am the room mom in my 10 year old daughters classroom this year and for her holiday party I will be bringing in the snow with a winter wonderland theme. I thought it would be fun if I could incorporate this same kind of theme into a singing time and bring the snow to the kids. What could be better than a good, old fashioned snowball fight!!!

 This is a team activity so you will break your group up into 2 teams. As you can see from the pics, I did a blue team and a red team. You will then make some snowballs out of poster board. On the back of your snowballs you will write the song to be sung and page number for your pianist. You want to be creative here and mix it up a bit. I did some fill in the blank, name that tune, and then you will have a few "wild" cards that are a free throw, or a remove 2 balls or 1 ball. This just mixes it up a bit and makes it more fun! If the team performs well or is able to do what is on the snowball they get to tape it on the opposing teams character.  For a free throw card I hid a few plain snowballs around the room. If someone drew a free throw ball they could search and find one of the hidden balls and they could put the free throw ball and the hidden ball both on the other teams character.
I dressed the part and wore my gloves and scarf for singing time. The kids loved it!!
Did I mention that I love. Love. LOVE, to incorporate a fun snack into my singing time activities? Following our "snowball fight" and all the hard work, I gave each of the kids a vanilla cake pop bon, bon resembling a snowball. I got the recipe off of one of my favorite sites out there, Jamiecooksitup.com. Check it out for fabulous recipe ideas.
Please check in for next weeks activity. I will be doing "Runaway Gingerbread Boy" Thank you for stopping by and Happy Singing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment